Sunday, March 9, 2008

Chapter 3

I got mobbed by a bunch of women today! They were all going crazy around me! They just couldn’t get enough! Ahem…not of me that is…but of “Thalaivar” or as he is better known, “Captain”. A huge political do put together by this new political party, which shall remain unnamed, brought forth a sea of humanity to the area where I live. The crowd covered every available bit of space in an obnoxious mélange of feet, hands, slippers, plastic water packets, beetle-nut stained spittle, trucks, flags, banners, body odors (more on that later) and a cloud of dust, kicked up by the afore mentioned pack of women, as they swarmed their way around me towards the direction of the rally. I survived. Barely. One women accidentally speared my foot with the stick she was using for support. While I was magnanimous with my own unnecessary apology she took it literally and abused me for not watching where I was going and actually insinuated that I was merely a roadside romeo trying to “cop a feel”!! A 60 year old lady. With a walking stick. She’s got hopes !!! I retreated quietly just happy she did not attempt to blunt the point of the stick in my guts!

The sea of yellow and red and white continue to swarm around on the roads as I write this and the sounds of crackers bursting and musical horns and engines at full tilt still echo around the corner to my room. The whole situation was summarized neatly by my friend. As we walked back home from the bus stop, he looked around, sighed and said, “So many people in this world with so little to do and here we are working 12 hours a day!” Amen brother!

I did mention odors. I’ll dedicate the next chapter to this topic. And I have not forgotten the push cart kalyana sapaadu. All in the next chapter. Be there or be square.

No comments: